When you start counting the baths, cooking, indoor plants, wet laundry, the dog’s water dish, the rain-soaked dog, wet jackets and hats, and on and on you’ll quickly get the idea that there is a mini-climate in your house and it needs to be dealt with or you’ll get visited by the mold fairy!
Your heated house is constantly changing these sources of water into air-borne vapor and will allow them to change back into water where a cold surface meets the warm, moisture-laden air, like a toilet tank or window pane.
The trick is to control the “incoming” sources of this moisture and balance the rest with vented fans and other types of ventilation. When you do this, your comfort goes up and the excessive moisture on the thermal windows goes away.
Humidity in the house should be 45 percent to 55 percent. This creates comfort and livability year around. In excess, it is bad for the house.
One of the questions that we are often asked this time of year is “Why do I have moisture inside my thermal-pane windows?”
If the question refers to moisture between the panes of glass that you can’t wipe away – then the window’s thermal air seal has been compromised and the glass portion of the window unit needs to be replaced. Your local glass company will be your best advisor and most direct link to replacing the unit under any applicable warranty.
WHAT STEAMY WINDOWS MEAN
But, if there are beads of moisture on the room-side of the glass and you have been wiping it up, then you most likely have a high humidity problem to solve. Here are some clues to help you hunt down the sources.
First ask yourself if all the windows in the house have beads of moisture on them or if it’s just a few specific ones and only at specific times.
If only a few windows are affected, note where they are located. Are they anywhere near a source of moisture, such as by the bathroom, kitchen or laundry room?
If yes, then ask yourself when the moisture shows up. For instance, is it after someone takes a hot shower or after you have cooked a steamy meal on the range?
If either of these scenarios shows any promise you should check out the use and function of your range hood and the bathroom fan. To properly remove moisture from the house, exhaust fans need to be vented to the exterior of the house through proper piping and vents with flappers. Are they there? Are they being used? Are they being used long enough after cooking or bathing to get rid of all the moist air?
Experiment a little at a time by leaving the bath fan on for 15 minutes after the first shower is over. Did it help?
STILL SEEING MOISTURE?
Do you still have a problem? If so, check your clothes dryer’s hose and connection to the vent system for leaks. Do you see lots of lint in the room?
When properly hooked up, a dryer will vent all its moist air to the exterior of the house. Turn on the dryer and feel all the pipe connections for air leaks. Are all the hose clamps tight; any pinhole leaks or tears in the pipe? Is the flapper vent outside the house clear of lint and moving freely? Is there a kink or sharp turn in the hose? If the system is plugged with lint it’s also a fire hazard!
What if your dryer hose goes under the house? Follow it. If your dryer ends anywhere but outside the house or foundation it is likely the source of hot, moist air which is very bad and will invite bugs and cause expensive damage.
A proper system would consist of smooth type pipe that has been screwed together and has all the joints “heat-taped.” The pipe will have a slight slope to drain to the outside, preferably wrapped with insulation and supported with straps every couple of feet. The pipe will then be connected to a flapper vent after passing through the foundation wall. The flapper needs regular cleaning to open and close freely keeping cold air and critters out.
MORE CAUSES OF SWEATY WINDOWS
The thing to remember is that each of us, including the dog, can put out something like a quart (more or less) of moisture per night! Several people sleeping in a closed up room is lots of moisture. Opening a window will help reduce moisture in the air.
A much more dangerous source of moisture is a gas appliance, such as a gas furnace or hot water tank that is improperly vented or has a blocked or damaged vent. Besides exhausting plenty of moisture, these appliances give off deadly carbon monoxide gas.
Another clue can be headaches or nausea when at home, but feeling normal when away. Your local gas company field man will be your best expert, so call now!
It is recommended that every house has a carbon monoxide detector. They’re relatively inexpensive and definitely worth the money for you and your loved ones’ health.